Most of the ways to make money from home that you find online simply won’t get you anywhere. I’ve tried many over the years. I can’t even imagine how much time I’ve wasted taking action on ideas just to see them fail… But that’s the thing, right?! You have to try. Failure is the only way we learn.
The real failure is not trying. It would be one thing if I spent time researching, reading what others have done then took no action. That would be the ultimate failure. At least I did and found several that worked… Or at least I was able to make them work after a bit of tweaking.
This might be a little tough during these COVID times but making extra money with babysitting or pet sitting is a good place to start as people are starting to venture back out into the world being cooped up at home. Believe me, if they have kids, and were impacted by the virus, then they’ll probably want to get out of the house for a long weekend or at least date night.
I’m more of an animal lover and have taken care of friends and neighbors’ pets while they’re away on vacation. It’s much better for the animals and you can easily make money either on the side or turn it into a full-time income.
A friend of mine is listed on a dog walking app called Wag! On her schedule, she takes dogs for walks for extra cash. This might be good to look into as well.
This is a no brainer if you know how to do something others would like to learn. I used to teach internet marketing and make tutorials to teach others how to do something online. Usually, it had to do with advertising their small business or their website. I would either charge for the instruction or use the instruction to get new clients.
One technique I used to use is to give away the first lesson free with no obligations. This gives others a chance to get to know you and see if your services are a good match. It’s usually informal and fun.
Here are some other teaching ideas I’ve seen or been a student of.
- Tutor kids – I know a few moms that do this on the side. They make a little money and it’s very rewarding.
- Can you play an instrument? Give music lessons.
- Craft night! Supply the snacks, drinks, and materials needed to make something fun.
- A seminar on cooking or baking. You could do this one-time or make it into a series.
- How to save money or make a budget for your family.
- The list is endless
Get started by telling your friends. It might be a good idea to try out a class with a couple of your besties and get feedback. They might have some good ideas on how to improve and how to advertise. Once you’re ready, you can advertise in local Facebook groups or apps like Nextdoor. After a class or two, word will spread quickly about your skills.
I know it seems obvious but selling things around your house can put a decent amount of money in your pocket. I like to use the minimalist mindset. If it’s not bringing me joy or I don’t “need” it, I like to get rid of it and keep my house clean and tidy. I realize that you’re not going to get what you paid for it but it’s better to go ahead and sell it than to hang on to it.
Most items can be sold on a local Facebook group or Craigslist. I usually like using Facebook a little better since I usually make a little more money listing items there. But either works well. Did you know in many areas a local sheriff deputy will accompany you to a Craigslist transaction? This is great to make sure you stay safe. Give them a call and see if this works in your area.
If you’d like to take selling to the next level, you can always try and sell things on Amazon. It’s not for everyone but it’s not very hard to become a seller on Amazon to make extra cash or make it a full-time job. The idea behind the course is that you’d find products that you know sell on Amazon. You stock one of the Amazon warehouses with that product then they’re fulfilled by Amazon using Prime! When you buy something that’s from another seller, it’s called “FBA” (Fulfilled by Amazon). You’ve likely purchased products like this and didn’t even know it.
There’s a course that tells you everything you need to know… I’ve had a look but haven’t pulled the trigger yet. Use the form below and send me an email and I’ll send you the information. Please let me know if you decide to give it a try! I’d love to hear about your experience!
Please send me information about selling on Amazon!
I’ll never share your information with anyone.
An easy way to make money is to simply spend less and save money. This might not make sense when you’re looking for ways to make a little extra but one less dollar you’re spending is one more dollar that can be saved. Not many people like this but it’s time to spend some time with your checking account and credit cards and figure out where the money is going. If you haven’t done this in a while, you’re going to find areas that need to be cut and places you can spend less.
If you’re not working a regular job, it’s time to make “saving” your job. Here are just a few ways you can go about this.
- Utility bills – Many utility companies have clear ways to save. Visit their website to get ideas. Don’t just turn things off when they’re not being used but go one step further and unplug that item. You’ll be surprised at the electricity you can save. One or two degrees warmer or colder on the thermostat can save a fortune
- Water – Time your showers, don’t flush #1… Yeah, I know that some will get grossed out by this one but I know a company that put up a sign and saved a ton!
- Cable – Time to cut the cord? How much TV do you watch? And is it mostly Netflix? I cut the proverbial cable cord a couple of years ago. It’s great!
- Cancel streaming services you’re not using.
- Pay off high-interest credit cards. This costs a little extra in the beginning but you’ll save a lot long term.
- Cook dinner rather than going out
- Cut coupons. There are apps for this!
Here are some of my favorite money-saving books if you’re interested:
I promise that many of the ideas in these books you’ve never heard about.
What do you think about this post? Is it helpful at all? Blogging can be a lot of fun but there’s a lot to learn about internet marketing and writing itself. This is the start of my 3rd blog and I’ve built 100s of sites for clients over the years.
It will start slow but you can make a full-time income blogging. You simply need a consistent direction and have the desire to help people. This was the best advice I’ve ever gotten when it comes to internet marketing… Stop trying to sell and simply help people. If you help people and deliver consistently good content, you can make a good living.
The problem with blogging though is that it’s not guaranteed money. There’s a little risk. You’ll probably spend some money, in the beginning, to learn the basics, buy your domain and hosting then spend the time to find topics and write. It takes some time to get it moving but it can be more profitable than any of the other methods I’ve mentioned.
If you’re serious about learning, I’m happy to point you in the right direction and give you access to some deals I’ve found. Use the form below and send me an email. I’m happy to reply asap.
Send me information about making extra money blogging!
I’ll never share your information with anyone.
Bonus Money Making Ideas!
I have a few friends and readers using some of the techniques below. I asked around while writing this post and here are some suggestions that didn’t make my top 5 list but could still work!
- Virtual assistant – One of my closest friends does this full time and has been for years. The idea is to do tasks for individuals and companies while at home. Some tasks involve a computer and others don’t. She recommended this training course as a starting point. Click here for more information on being an online assistant.
- Make money with your opinion – Lots of companies will pay for your opinion. Most of the surveys don’t take much time and it’s free to get started. If you fit the criteria they’re looking for, you’ll get invited to take it. Most will be worth your while! Below are two that were recommended to me:
- Photos – Have a decent camera phone? Did you know you can get paid for taking pics with your phone? This was suggested to me as well but I haven’t joined yet. The website looks very interesting though. Have a look for yourself! Click here to make money taking photos.